Peter Goldstein is a professor at Juniata College in Pennsylvania in the USA. He has been
World Cup crazy since 1966. He will share his views about the past, present and future of
Read earlier columns
France 1998 deluxe trivia quiz
It was only 4 years ago, but how closely were you paying attention and how
much do you really remember? Here's a wide-ranging trivia quiz: some of the
answers will be readily available in book and Internet sources, but many
will not. Feel free to e-mail me your answer list; the answers will be
posted here in about two weeks, and we'll mention the people who had the
most correct responses. No prizes, unfortunately...
1) Which starting striker was kicked off his team for insubordination after
the first group game?
2) Which player hit the post less than 30 seconds into a game?
3) Which team dyed their hair blond before their last first-round game?
4) Italy drew 2-2 with Chile on a penalty called for a handball, although
replays showed it was unintentional. Who was the Chilean who was called for
5) Norway defeated Brazil on a penalty for which initial replays showed no
foul; however, several days later replays confirmed the referee's call. Who
was the referee, who was the Brazilian who committed the foul, and who was
the Norwegian who was fouled?
6) Which player scored a goal and then was red-carded in the same game?
7) Who was the first coach to be fired during the tournament?
8) Mexico accomplished a feat previously performed only by West Germany in
1958. What was it?
9) Name all the players who scored directly from free kicks.
10) Which players scored on headers in more than one game?
11) Cameroon drew with Chile, but they had a potential game-winning goal
disallowed in the second half for what to most neutral viewers appeared a
nonexistent foul. Who scored the non-goal?
12) Which team scored 3 goals in second-half injury time?
13) Which team started the same 10 outfield players in all three group
14) What color were the shirt, shorts, and socks in Holland's strip in their
game against Belgium?
15) True or False: Brazil wore the same strip in every game.
16) Which keeper saved a free kick from Jose Luis Chilavert?
17) Which player missed a penalty kick (penalty shootouts not included)?
18) Zinedine Zidane scored two goals off headers from corners in the Final.
Who took the corners?
19) Which was the only game which started with both keepers as captains of
20) Who was the oldest player to score a goal in the tournament?
21) Who made the pass for Dennis Bergkamp's game-winning goal against
22) Which player was suspended by FIFA for two games for insulting the
referee after the game in which his team was eliminated?
23) Which player scored a goal that went in after hitting the crossbar, the
keeper, and a defender?
24) Which player scored only seconds after he had come on as a substitute?
25) Which player was booked during a penalty shootout?
26) Which player scored on a penalty that had to be taken twice?
27) Name all the games in which the winner came from behind (games decided
on penalties do not count).
28) Name the games in which all the goals were scored from headers.
29) True or False: Luis Hernandez' injury-time goal against Holland assured
Mexico of a place in the second round.
30) Which teams were reduced to nine men in at least one of their games?
Info on how
the World Cup was founded and about the trophy as well.
on every match in every tournament.
Interesting columns about the past, present and future of the World Cup.
with appearances in the World Cup. Detailed info on every country.
of many of the most influential players in history.
An A-Z collection
of strange and different stories in World Cup history.
A big collection
of various statistics and records.
since it was introduced in 1966.
knowledge about the WC. Three different levels. No prizes, just for fun.
lots of stuff. For instance Best Goals, Best Players and Best Matches.
of links to other soccer sites with World Cup connection.
and buttons for you to link to us if you want.
A little information
on who keeps this site available.